Click here to return to the Link2Lead Home Page
 
 
 
Google  
 
click to view Getting Started click to view My Self click to view My Community click to view My Congregation click to view My World  
&nbp;
&nbp;
 
 

l
 
 
l
 
 
l
Faith of America's Generations:
Religious Preference
l
 
l
l l l
l

Surviving Interest

l
l l l
l
l l l
l Over 85% of all Americans have a religious preference, but what about the remaining 15%? Among those who lack a preference, an interesting story emerges across the generations. First, the percentage of those who express no preference grows with each younger generation, from the Builders at 12.3% to the Survivors at 18.2%. But there's another piece to the story. Thirteen percent (13%) of all Survivors and nearly 12% of all Boomers indicate they have no religious preference and they are not even interested. However, Survivors are significantly more likely than Boomers, Silents or Builders to say they are interested, even though they have no current preference (see data table below). This indicates an openness that is not as present among the other generations. l
  SURVIVORS (born 1961-1981) | BOOMERS (born 1943-1960)
SILENTS (born 1925-1942) | BUILDERS (born 1900-1924)
 
     
l
ll ll ll
l

Religious Preference (No Preference) and Interest by Generation
Source: 1998 Ethos Survey; © 2008 Percept Group Inc.

    No Pref. /
Not Interest.
No Pref. /
Interested
All Other
Preferences
Survivors   12.9% 5.3% 81.8%
Boomers l 11.6% 3.8% 84.6%
Silents   9.4% 3.3% 87.3%
Builders l 9.6% 2.7% 87.7%
US Avg.   11.1% 3.8% 85.1%
l
l
     
l Ministry Ideas l
l
Consider generational profiles.
For a Generational Profile of your community see 10 Generational Facts
l
 
l What is the generational profile of your community?
l Do you have a large Survivor population in your community?
Are they present in your church? Is there anything in this information that would influence how you think about reaching this generation?
 
 
Consider the ways you shape and tell the Christian story.
 
 
l Both Survivors and Boomers are less inclined to have a religious prefrence and many a lack of interest. How could/should this influence the way you communicate with the community?
l How would this change the way you organize and implement
your ministry?
 
     
l l
l ©  COPYRIGHT 2008 PERCEPT GROUP, INC. l
l l l
 
For a more printable version of this page, click here.